Thursday, July 28, 2011

Libraries are refuge for the frugal and minimalist.


Growing up, my dad and I would go to the library on Sundays and sometimes on special days we would drive the hour south to Seattle, to all the cool bookstores. My dad taught how to love the act of just perusing bookstores and then more often seeking them out at the library. Finding the library is on my list of first things to do when I move into a new city. I was sad to hear the central St. Louis library is closed for renovations for the next 3 or 4 years, but there are so many branches around the city. I found the most comfortable chair yesterday with a great view yesterday when I explored the branch nearest me. Libraries are so calm, you can read for hours and not be disturbed. It is also the best place to hang out to not be tempted into buying anything. Libraries are refuge for the frugal and minimalist. Minimalism is, in my opinion, all about clearing away the clutter to leave room for your passion. A few simple tables and some comfy chairs leave the space open to enjoy the passion of reading, the library's passion. I get to read amazing, eye-opening books without having make space on my bookshelf for them and I don't have to pay a dime most of the time. Although I did have to pay a $2 fine yesterday, but I also found a book I thought was lost so got my money back on another charge. Also I have to add I suspending my netflix at the end of August and have been moving my queue over to my library wishlist/ holds and turns out they have like 85% of my queue. Way neat! Off to go make the best cappuccino foam my customers ever had...
The image is of the newer Seattle Public Library which I kind of hate due to no comfy chairs, hard to find books, but neat architecture and design.

No comments:

Post a Comment